Ready, Steady….Sow, Sow, Sow!!!!
It’s that time of year where the soil temperatures are rising, the frosts are diminishing and its time for the allotment to come to life! I think this is the most exciting time of the year!
I was impressed with the scale of work we achieved in March so my to-do list is not as long as I thought it would be so I can get only with the most important job which is sowing!
To sow at the allotment:
- lettuce (for successional sowing)
To plant at the allotment
- broad beans
To sow at home in pots
- brussels sprouts
- sprouting broccoli
- runner beans
- green beans
- shelling beans
- more broad beans
Despite all this sowing there are still jobs to be getting on with at the allotment – mainly weeding and tidying to keep the plots in order.
Last year I focused so much on the structure of the plots that I kept finding the weeds were get on top of me as I neglected to hoe them off regularly. So this year I have developed a new ordered plan to ensure that I use my time correctly when down the allotment with focus being on the care of my plants and getting even better harvests this year!
- Weed – hoe off any annual weeds, dig up perennials. I neglected to do this last year and the weeds crowded out some of my plants,
- Harvest – often we ran out of time and I would forget to harvest certain veg, like courgettes, and next time I returned they had gone over,
- Sow/plant/care – Then it is time to sow new seeds, transplant seedlings and plants and care for existing plants such as tying in, staking, removing diseased or dead plants, pest control etc.
- Water – water all the plants and feed where necessary. Last year we were always in a rush to get the watering finished before we went home – this year we will dedicate the proper time to it to ensure our plants flourish,
- Tidy plot – tidy away any rubbish, burn perennial weeds, wood etc
- A.O.B – any other business can now continue i.e. digging over beds, putting in raised beds, turning compost, building projects etc
I’ll let you know how the new plan works out!
During this month, I hope to get a start on putting together my herb garden. I am also going to try and mulch our fruit trees and get the ‘orchard’ into good shape!
However, the main focus this month is to get sowing and planting. I feel a trip to the garden centre coming on…