I absolutely love May – it is my second favourite month (after September which is my Birthday!) not only because we get two bank holiday weekends but because I can finally move my plants from the greenhouse and into the allotment where I can be reasonably assured that they won’t succumb to the frost! Unlike the plants in the polytunnel!
I have been quite surprised at how much I have achieved this year and for once I have had the time to really focus on the plants rather than having to play catch up because the plot is not in order.
So my ‘TO-DO’ list this month is reasonably short (short for me at least!):
- Plant out courgette, squash and sweetcorn plants
- Plant/Sow more brassicas
- Plant cucumbers in growhouse
- Finishing filling new carrot bed and sow carrot seeds
- Raise the Strawberry bed and cover with bird netting
- Keep earthing up potatoes
- Mulch the fruit cage
- Sow lettuces and salad leaves amongst onions and garlic
- Sow beans – runner/dwarf/french/shelling
- Turn over soil and plant brussels sprouts on bed 3
- Start planting up herb garden
- Plant sweet potatoes (when the are delivered)
- Plant oca
- Plant pumpkins
I feel like I am missing something ….Oh yes! Weeding!
With the weather warming up my key job this month will be to keep on top of the weeding. I don’t want the weeds to get to epic proportions like last year!