A new year, A new plan!
I have been busy over Christmas sorting through my seeds, ordering most, if not all, the plants I will need for the year ahead and working on a plan for the allotment in the coming year.
This year I plan to grow the following vegetables:
- Aubergine; Elisa
- Beetroot; Boltardy, Perfect 3
- Broad beans; Valencia, Super Aquadulce Claudia, Masterpiece green longpod
- Brussels sprout; Evesham special, Camelot F1
- Cabbage (Red); Rodeo F1
- Cabbage (Green); Minicole F1, Greyhound, Ormskirk, Offenham 2
- Calabrese; green calabrese, Aquiles F1
- Carrots; Flyaway, Favour, St Valery, Nantes 5
- Cauliflower; Helsinki
- Celeriac; Ilona
- Chard; Brightlights
- Chickpeas; Principe
- Courgettes; All green bush, zucchini
- Cucumbers; Marketmore,
- Drying beans; Blue lake
- Dwarf beans; Ferrari, Safari
- Garlic; Provence wight, Elephant
- Jerusalem artichoke; Fuseau
- Kale; Nero di Toscana
- Lambs lettuce; Valentin
- Leeks; Malabar, Porvite, Elefant
- Lentils; Lenticchia
- Lettuce; Amaze, Little gem, All the year round, Lobjoits green cos, Winter density
- Onions; Radar, Red baron
- Parsnips; Countess F1
- Peas; Onward, Meteor
- Peppers; Californian Wonder, Romano mixed,Misticanza di peperoni
- Potatoes; Sarpo Axona, Charlotte, International Kidney (will try out some other first early varieties too)
- Purple sprouting broccoli; Early purple
- Radish; Scarlet Globe
- Runner beans; Scarlet empire
- Shallots; Jermor
- Spinach; Fiorano F1
- Spring onions; TSX 8516, Evergreen bunching, White lisbon winter hardy
- Squash and Pumpkin; Uchiki kuri, Turks Turban, Sweetmax F1, Butternut Rugosa, Small sugar
- Swede; Gowrie
- Sweet potatoes; Beauregard, Bonita, Murasaki
- Sweetcorn; Super start ACX SS7403RY F1, Superstart ACX SS7078Y F1
- Tomatoes; Alicante, Moneymaker, Red cherry, Pomodoro scatalone, Costoluto Fiorentino,
I realised over last year that I need to think more about crop rotation now that I have the space to practice this efficiently and I have been able to incorporate that into the allotment plan.
As you can see from the plan opposite, in plot 1 I am mainly growing legumes and brassicas. The taller barassicas like the sprouts and sprouting broccoli will be located on plot 3.
I am moving my strawberry beds to the top of plot 1 as the old strawberry beds are getting old and this year will probably be the last decent yield I will get from them so I am starting the new bed now to allow time for the runners to establish.
The carrots and parsnips will remain in the two large planters at the front although they will have swapped round. Due to the carrot fly infestation I plan to use some of the Nemasys fruit and vegetable protection nematodes to help keep the worst infestations at bay.
Early potatoes will also be grown in potato grow bags alongside the shed.
I also plan to try and think more about getting some pollinator friendly flowers across all the plots as well as adding some more colour.
In plot 2, we will mainly be growing squash, pumpkin, potatoes and alliums and on plot 3 I hope to have the new polytunnel bought and erected by the end of March/beginning of April so that it is ready for the tomatoes and other greenhouse veg to go in. Also on plot 3 I will be growing the drying beans, sweet potatoes, tall brassicas and any salad crops that I haven’t be able to fit in anywhere else.
I’m looking forward to the new season and am trying hard not to get sowing too early!