The hungry gap is over and it is filled with broad beans! I have had a good harvest this week of broad beans, some lettuce and a few peas.
I harvested 1.4kg of broad beans and 150g of peas. I also pulled up a couple of carrots to see if they are ready yet. They are still small and have forked but at least there are no sign of carrot root fly!
I also pulled up the spinach which had started to flower. This tends to happen quickly in dry weather – I think I need to find a cooler place to grow spinach!
There has been a couple of weeks with no harvests but this week I harvested another large amount of rhubarb. The plants were getting out of control so I need to give them a good tidy up. Quite a few stalks went in the bin as they were quite spongy but I took home a massive 5.6kg of rhubarb. About 3kg will be given out to the Slimming World group (if they want it) and the other 2.6 kg have been stewed and some frozen away for making a variety of desserts.
More excitingly, I harvested my first batch of radishes. I think they look absolutely delicious and I can’t wait to put them into a salad. 85g of scarlet globe radishes!
The last of the leeks were harvested this week and the beds dug over in time for the potatoes to go in on the Easter weekend. The harvest weighed 1.25kg.
For those of you who follow this blog you may remember that when I planted these leeks, a third of them were planted with black drain pipe around them to ‘blanche’ the stems and produce longer whiter shanks. Well this was definitely a success!
The leeks with pipe around them grew taller but generally were thinner than their non-pipe counterparts as you can see in the picture below. Although the leeks were thinner, more of the leek was usuable so it is something that we will definitely do again!
I hope your allotments/gardens are still bearing fruit and you not in the hungry gap like me!
We lifted two thirds of the remaining leeks this week. We have to make way for the potatoes which will go in the ground Easter weekend so we have three weekends to lift the rest of the leeks, dig over the ground and enrich the soil in time for the spuds! Weather permitting of course!
So we harvested 3.25kg of leeks this week. Two thirds have been chopped up and frozen whilst a third have been distributed to fellow colleagues!
This week down the allotment as well a the many other jobs I did, I gave the rosemary bush on plot 1 a much needed hair cut. About a third of the bush was cut away (mostly dead wood) but some of it had lovely fresh growth and I couldn’t bare to burn it so I cut off the fresh stems and bought them home. I will keep some fresh for cooking this week otherwise I will dry the rest and store it.
Another week, another post about harvesting rhubarb and leeks! It is literally all I have in the allotment (I apologise if I bore you – its the best way for me to keep track of what I am harvesting)!
So I harvested 1.25kg of leeks this week, all to go in the freezer to use of the summer, and 1.27kg of forced rhubarb, which will also be stewed and frozen into two batches for crumble or pie another time!
That is it for the forced rhubarb now as will let the crown rest for the remainder of the year. My other (non-forced) rhubarb crowns are growing quite well and I will soon be inundated with rhubarb and not enough ideas with what to do with it!
I am also acutely aware that other than the leeks, which will be cleared this coming weekend, I don’t have anything else to harvest in the allotment! Now is the time to plan so that this time next year my allotment will still be producing plenty!